01 March 2009

Design evolution: Carly

The Carly is finally done and below are some photos to show the design evolution...

When inspiration hit, I was somewhere between Istanbul and Vienna last fall and I did a quick sketch of the design on some Hilton notepaper:


When I decided to turn the sketch into something tangible, I modified the design a little:


And here is the finished piece:


Clearly things don't always turn out the way they looked in my head or on paper, and the Carly was no exception. I ended up going with the original length of chain for the large round beads between the draping, while the small beads connecting the draped chains had to be adjusted for the side drapes to take into account the way the necklace sits on the body. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with how the piece turned out and have to say that it looks much better around a neck than on a flat surface!